Skip to main content

Sleepyogation




Sleepyogation

This summer, I have dedicated myself to my sleepyogation. I needed to accomplish three goals over the course of the summer including vacation, seven to eight hours of sleep each night and rededicating myself to my yoga practice. Sleepyogation was born!
Educators earn a summer break away from students. Most educators continue to work throughout the summer, just not with classes of students. My two AP classes begin their year with two summer assignments requiring my attention. I spent most of June in professional development. What I didn’t want to do was spend thousands of dollars on a week or two of sand and surf. A week or two at the beach would not necessarily help me accomplish my three goals. A sleepyogation could.
Research shows that adults need seven to nine hours of sleep every day. The interesting thing is that any more or any less sleep can actually lead to negative consequences such as elevated risk for disease, obesity, memory loss, and even early death. I needed the summer break to institute a healthy sleep pattern. My silver lab wakes up with the sunrise, so staying up late can prevent me from achieving a healthy sleep pattern. For longevity, I need to tend to my sleep patterns, and my sleepyogation has allowed me to complete the necessary school work, family life, and tend to my personal goals.
Yoga? Yes! The National Institutes of Health review of research indicates that yoga reduces heart rate and blood pressure, reduces pain, improves function, and may help relieve anxiety and depression. Current research on yoga includes diabetes, immune function, and arthritis. So many benefits support that I feel centered and healthy when I am active in my yoga practice. My goals this summer included daily classes in yoga along with regular cardio and strength training. I was inspired by educators who use the #fitleaders hashtag. Educators need to focus on their health and fitness so that they are ready for the challenge of their vocation.
While I start back to full time at school in one short week, many teachers still have time to implement a sleepyogation. I hope you have a gloriously safe location like Blue Yoga to practice.

@Rogers_Suzanne

District Director of Professional development, AP English teacher, ELA Coach, TPN Teacher Leader, and cradle United Methodist. https://medium.com/@rogers_3197

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#Edtech tools of summer

Summer is a great time for teachers to work with #edtech tools. Two free Edtech tools that I'm working with this summer include TED-Ed and RECAP. Both of these tools can help a teacher flip his or her classroom. I've found that videos and screencasts are helpful to my students. Why?

1. Visual learners benefit from a visual explanation in addition to a handout

2. Students who have been absent can more easily regain what they missed

3. Students can replay the video and not be embarrassed

So, what is TED-Ed?
"TED-Ed is also a platform for teachers. They can adapt TED-Ed Original Lesson content to create customized lessons to use in their classrooms or use our Create a Lesson tool to build their own new lessons with any YouTube video."

Examples http://ed.ted.com/on/fRUTqFyo

My students have also used TED-Ed to create memorable lessons. I'm using it this summer to quickly create video lessons from videos that I have used in the classroom previously. I will be able to…

Inaugural Poetry Night

Inaugural Poetry Night at LISA North
April 5, 2016

As we approach our first Poetry Night, hearts are fluttering.   Our students are nervous to present their poetry, and out teachers are nervous about attendance. Since it is our first attempt to showcase our student's work, we  have also set up a LISA North Poetry Channel on Youtube so that the students and parents and view our students' efforts.

We will continue to add to our poetry channel each year.
LISA North Poetry Channel

The Struggle is Real- threefold statement on leadership

December 31, 2016

As an instructional leader, I am perpetually looking for knowledge to inspire, to teach, and to broaden my current perspective. I am also personally interested in the quiet work of The Elders.  Many teachers are interested in social justice.  As our public school populations continue to shift, it is imperative that we understand our students' backgrounds and the walls of prejudice they face daily.  Chair of the Elders, Kofi Annan's statement on leadership is fourfold. These three points can guide current and future #teacherleaders

1.  Be open and willing to listen
2.  Need not always be right
3.  A good follower

BE OPEN. To be open is to understand that all of our teachers have brilliant ideas. We must be willing to listen to these ideas. Teacher leaders must also be open to the restrictive policies of our schools. Teacher leaders must guide teachers and administrators. Often, administrators see the bigger picture. For example, charter schools in our state c…