Skip to main content

STOP Bias Spot it. Talk about it. Open your mind. Prevent it.




As teacher leaders, we need to realize that we come with our own bias baggage. It is important that we own our bias and our privilege.  As a white woman from a college educated family, I admit that I have white privilege. I'll also admit that I wasn't always aware of my bias. I clearly remember being shocked at a summer camp when a counselor suggested that I shouldn't become friendly with another camper due to his race. After the horrific events of this summer, I decided to compile a list of resources for my school's professional development Google folder and begin a blog series on the topic of bias in the school setting.

Bias Resources

I had a lovely conversation with one of our graduates, Jeremy Taylor, @2014Jeremy, who currently attends Pomona College. Jeremy and his fellow students worked with the Pomona College administration to address diversity and bias at Pomona. Our conversation went fairly deep into the various types of diversity issues faced on college campuses. One idea that I emphasized with Jeremy was the power of student voice. Students must learn to enter into the dialogue. We must not stand behind our facts or our own diversity and refuse to speak. Read Jeremy's blog on the importance of personal experience to balance our textual evidence. As teachers, we can help and should our students extend the dialogue regarding bias.

We all come to the classroom with bias. Balance is needed. We do need to spot, talk, and open our minds in order to prevent bias.

Suzanne Rogers

@Rogers_Suzanne


District Director of Professional development, AP English teacher, ELA Coach and cradle United Methodist.
Thank you to the Teacher Practice Network, Arkansas Public School Resource Center, A Project of the Center for the Future of Teaching and Learning at WestEd, with funding by the Gates Foundation. #TPNlead

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#Edtech tools of summer

Summer is a great time for teachers to work with #edtech tools. Two free Edtech tools that I'm working with this summer include TED-Ed and RECAP. Both of these tools can help a teacher flip his or her classroom. I've found that videos and screencasts are helpful to my students. Why?

1. Visual learners benefit from a visual explanation in addition to a handout

2. Students who have been absent can more easily regain what they missed

3. Students can replay the video and not be embarrassed

So, what is TED-Ed?
"TED-Ed is also a platform for teachers. They can adapt TED-Ed Original Lesson content to create customized lessons to use in their classrooms or use our Create a Lesson tool to build their own new lessons with any YouTube video."

Examples http://ed.ted.com/on/fRUTqFyo

My students have also used TED-Ed to create memorable lessons. I'm using it this summer to quickly create video lessons from videos that I have used in the classroom previously. I will be able to…

Inaugural Poetry Night

Inaugural Poetry Night at LISA North
April 5, 2016

As we approach our first Poetry Night, hearts are fluttering.   Our students are nervous to present their poetry, and out teachers are nervous about attendance. Since it is our first attempt to showcase our student's work, we  have also set up a LISA North Poetry Channel on Youtube so that the students and parents and view our students' efforts.

We will continue to add to our poetry channel each year.
LISA North Poetry Channel

Google Summit in Arkansas-I am Thankful!




I AM Thankful for

     The Google in Education Arkansas Summit took place this weekend on the Conway High School campus. Wow! Just Wow! The pure joy of being part of a PLN is in the connection. This weekend, I saw just a couple of Tweets talking about #GIESummit in Arkansas. I literally said "OH MY Goodness! How could I have missed this amazing opportunity?"  So, I quickly responded to a Tweeter @davidjhinson from Hendrix College,  +Hendrix College to ask if I could register late and still attend. David was kind enough to ask the Google staff, if it was even doable. The answer was yes!

     Thankful to be allowed to attend a Google Summit, I thought nothing of ponying up the money for such an  amazing opportunity in our state. (Thanks to Dan Taylor for helping with the registration process.) This morning, I drove up to Conway and sat in on the lovely Keynote, "What's on the Horizon" by +Lisa Thumann, @lthumann.  Each session I attended bu…